Extra Thanksgiving Weight

"; include('/home/straight/public_html/includes/search.php');?>

December 3rd, 2008

Did you eat too much over the Thanksgiving weekend? How could you not? All of that turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing and casseroles were probably begging you to dig in. If you did eat too much, you're in good company, most of us are right there with you.

If you feel like Thanksgiving has given you a few extra pounds, don't feel bad. Thanksgiving (including leftovers) is only a week of unhealthy food. Health isn't made based on what you do for 1 out of the 52 weeks of the year. That's only 2%. The other 98% is what really matters.

If you spend 98% of the year eating pumpkin pies, gravy and buttery mashed potatoes, then come Thanksgiving, you're going to have a problem. If you spend 98% of the year eating fruits, vegetables, oats, whole grain breads, lean meats, beans and fish, come Thanksgiving, feel free to pig out.

If you feel bad about gaining a few extra Thanksgiving pounds, here's what you should do. Don't worry about those extra pounds. The healthy lifestyle you're about to start will fix the problem in a week or two. Start exercising.

Exercise is the best weapon you have against unhealthy eating days like Thanksgiving. It'll burn extra calories so you can enjoy eating a little more once in a while. Don't start off too quickly. If you've been sedentary for a long time, start exercising 1-3 times per week at first and moving up to 5-6 times per week when you feel comfortable. Get a free workout routine.

You also need to start a healthy eating plan. Stop eating foods that are high in sugar, saturated fat and sodium. These three ingredients can cause a lot of problems in the long term such as cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. Eat: foods that are made from 100% whole grain flour (bread and pasta), brown rice, fruits, vegetables, lean meats (chicken, fish and some cuts of beef), beans and nuts.

Also make sure you're eating the right amount of food. Even too many healthy calories can be bad for your health. If you follow these simple steps to keep you healthy for 98% of the year, you won't have to worry about the 2% when you can just enjoy yourself.